Mark Kistler - Commander Mark

2019.10.03 NYCC, Javits Center, NYC

I haven't been to a lot of shows recently, but when I was asked to help a friend at NYCC, I jumped at the opportunity to obtain some new sketches.

My first sketch of the morning was Mark Kistler. I know him as Commander Mark of the PBS-TV show Secret City and later on Imagination Station. Both of these were shows that taught drawing, but not like the old Jon Nagy style when I was a kid, or Bob Ross who focused on landscapes. Commander Mark drew in a cartoon style that kids enjoyed, while teaching the terminology like foreshortening, perspective, etc..

I used to look for Commander Mark's shows and sit down with my boys to draw. If they lost interest and go to do something else, I would continue watching the show and drawing. Without TV on demand or Youtube back then, it was not always easy to take the time to watch regularly. His drawing were always fun, featuring spaceships, dragons, monsters, the type of drawings kids enjoyed doing. Now Mark has his own Youtube show and is still teaching.

It was my pleasure to meet Commander Mark and personally thank him for many hours of enjoyment  and education. Draw, draw, draw. Draw 30 minutes every day!
This is a drawing of a dog I did while watching Commander Mark. Thank you Mark Kistler!

Comments