Billy Martin - Blue Meanies

2019.10.03 NYCC, Javits Center, NYC

Billy Martins is best known as the lead guitarist and keyboard player for the multi-platinum selling band Good Charlotte. Martin has a passion for music and art, and his art is featured on the bands' albums, stage designs and merchandise. Martin ran his own clothing line, Level 27, featuring his goth and horror art. Turning to books, Martin published the children's book titled Damious McDreary - A Boy and his Bat. He has also provided art for Disney, Upper Deck-Marvel trading cards, IDW Publishing, Image Comics, BOOM! and SLG Comics

Going to the NYCC, I had planned on requesting a sketch from Martin, so I brought several music related covers with me. When I explained that I would like to obtain a music related sketch of his design, I initially took out the John Lennon FDC to show him the work space. Martin quickly asked "Can I do something Beatlie" (not sure if that is a word or how to spell it, but it was clear he was a Beatle's fan) The next day I was handed a Blue Meanie from the Sgt Pepper's animation. The perfect choice considering the John Lennon stamp and the envelope were blue. The Lennon Stamp came in a rainbow of colors depending where on the sheet of stamps it was printed.

Martin pointed out that in his research he did not know the Meanies had 6 fingers, neither did I.


Billy Martin with Good Charlotte - 2016 Vans Warped Tour!

Comments