William Keops Ibanez - Pancho Villa

2019.05.18 East Coast Comic Con, Secaucus, NJ

William Keops Ibanez was born in Mexico and moved to the US to attend the School of Visual Arts, from which he earned his B.F.A in illustration. He then attended the Art Institute of New York to earn his associates in graphic design. He has provided work for Gap, Forever 21, Hot Topic, Target and Weras Records

I came across Ibanez' booth as I was getting ready to leave the show. I was only there the one day, so I requested my sketches early so I could pick them up as I leave. Ibanez had an interesting book he was working on, a self published book called Blazing Quantum, True Tales from La Frontera, about a group of Chicano punks in a South Texas border town. The story works in Mexico and America's shared history, which includes the Mexican Revolution, immigration, assimilation and punk rock

I noticed a block print, which Ibanez had created for the Comic Con, featuring Pancho Villa, a Mexican revolutionary general and one of the most prominent figures of Mexican Revolution. As a person who previously did some block printing I had to pick this up. This print was limited to 25 created for the convention.

Comments