Business envelopes - The Comics

Even though I have slowed down on obtaining hand-drawn art, I still research information for my collection. Since both of my parents worked for an envelope manufacturing company, and my father was a stamp collector, I was always had an interest in illustrated envelopes. In the late 1890s the envelopes were decorated with fantastic engraved images representing the sender's business. Recent improvements in methods of communications (e-mail, text, facebook, instagram etc) have made it easier to reach someone quickly, but the message is sterile and lacks anticipation of having to wait and then open the envelope to reveal the message. Therefore I still have a fascination for certain envelope that have been placed through the mail. 

Some of these business envelope offer a postage meter that features a slogan that may represent their business interests. I recently came across a few envelopes that are comic related:

Henry is a comic strip created in 1932 by Carl Anderson. The title character is a young bald boy who is mostly mute in the comics 

Dick Tracy meter used by Chicago News Tribune
Chester Gould - Dick Tracy business envelopes
Charles Schulz, Snoopy business envelopes
Garry Trudeau - Doonesbury - 1996 meter
Calvin & Hobbes - Bill Watterson c 1987
Calvin & Hobbes - Bill Watterson c.1988
Calvin & Hobes - Bill Watterson c.1994
Ed "Big Daddy" Roth - 1989
Walter Lantz - Woody Woodpecker - 1972
Keith Haring Inc - 1989
Dik Browne - Hagar the Horrible - 1978
Buster Browne - Outcault Advertising - 1910




 

Comments