Boids


2015 - I work in a facility that has a parking deck.. the stairwell to the 3rd level is glass enclosed. One morning with the sun shining on the glass I noticed an impression of a bird on the glass. A pigeon, we have lots of them, must have crashed into the glass and left his own chalk outline of feathers and dander..I know it does not sound attractive, but I found  beauty in the impression. I did not see any bodies on the ground, so I figured he must have staggered away like a concussed soccer player refusing to leave the pitch...

This vision stayed with me and I keep looking for new impressions, as if it were a traveling art show. Each bird leaves their own mark, but all are similar in style.  I finally decided to put the image to paper..a little self indulgence...


One of my favorite quotes from the movie The Producers (Mel Brooks 1968)
Concierge (Madelyn Cates): But you won't find him there.... he's up on the roof with his boids.  He keeps boids. Dirty disgusting... filthy.. lice-ridden boids.  You used to be able to sit out on the stoop like a person. Not anymore!  No sir!  Boids!



Jeff Pidgeon, started working at Pixar in 1991, graduating from Cal Arts in 1988, to work on Toy Story. His work with Pixar would later include Toy Story 2, Toy Story3, Monsters Inc, Mike's New Car, Lifted, Wall-E, Up.....
Jeff has also provided voice work for several of these movies, including the 3-eyed aliens from Toy Story..
I had sent a request for a sketch on a Project Mercury FDC, and Jeff signed the card stock from inside the cover along with this sketch of a 3-eyed alien from Toy Story.. Thanks Jeff!

Erica Schroeder was in attendance at the East Coast Comic Con, Seacaucus, NJ
Ms. Schroeder is an actress, who is known for her voice work on several animated projects..notably Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh, Winx Club, Tai Chi Chasers... providing voices for over 50 characters on over 15 animated shows.  Ms. Schroeder has appeared on Broadway in Jane Eyre and Shout, The Mod Musical and in  many off-Broadway and regional theatre productions ..
I had the idea of drawing a Pokemon Pidove, a character voiced by Ms. Schroeder, on a state bird first day cover, to obtain her autograph on. I like the concept...

Comments