Don Simpson - Megaton Man

2016.04.17 East Coast Comic Con, Seacaucus, NJ

I can honestly say I have read very few Megaton Man comics, however I enjoy the drawing style that Don Simpson utilizes to portray this over-bulked hero. When I heard he was attending the East Coast Comic Con, I knew I wanted to attempt to get a sketch.  I was presented with my usual problem, which stamp do I use to match up with this hero... I did not have any Michigan state issues, nor any Atomic Energy issues, so I presented my case to Simpson. He suggested something patriotic, leaning toward the Statue of Liberty (probably why he drew it on the cover)..

I had the opportunity to watch Simpson work, while we spoke about various subjects, from work to art and teaching. He started with the blue pencil, drawing circles that would become muscles. Adding in yellow and red, light blue and pink in the sky. Outlining Megaton Man after the colors had been laid down.. A pleasure watching Simpson work and seeing Megaton Man take shape (the scan does not do justice to the colors)...

Megaton Man Return to Megatropolis ashcan preview with a Kozmik Kat sketch

Simpson was seated next to Dave Ryan and the Red Anvil Comics table, to which Simpson provided the cover art to War of the Independents #4 (a finger flicking battle between Megaton Man and the Tick)
 War of the Independents #4 (Red Anvil Comics) cover art by Don Simpson and Wilson Ramos Jr signed by Dave Ryan (script) and Nilda Ryan (lettering). Signed on the first page by Simpson and Paul Castiglia (script)
Back cover art by Rick Parker (signed)



Comments