Erica Schultz - Veronica Lake

Superheroes for Hospice, Livingston, NJ

The first time I met Erica Schutlz, writer of the comic book M-3, was at Hospice show. After briefly looking over her book M-3 I purchased a copy, and Erica told me I was one of the first, outside of forced family members, to officially purchase a copy. I truly enjoyed the book. Since I try not to use this space to critique books or drawings, I felt I needed Erica to draw a sketch on a first day cover so I could feature her work. I had heard Erica had done some work in animation and as a colorist, but she was here to promote M-3 as the writer. The art for the book was done by Vincente Alcazar, (you can see a Moon Knight sketch by Alcazar on Matt's page)...

M-3 is the story of Machiavella Maria Marcona, an assassin who discovers her FBI boss is using her. M-3 is a powerful and independent female hero, without super powers, relying on natural abilities and intelligence, involved in corruption, greed, espionage and intrigue ....
Supporters for this book include Bill Sienkiewicz who illustrated the cover of the second issue (copy signed by Erica and Bill Sienkiewicz below)...

Issue 2 also features an alternative cover (inside back cover) by Kevin Maher, 3rd issue features a cover by Andree Maitland...the fourth issue is now available from Hound Comics and the story continues

When I asked for a sketch from Erica of any subject of her choosing, she was reluctant at first, but eventually gave in. I told her I do not mind a simple sketch, so replied she can do actress Veronica Lake (1922-1973) with a distinctive hairstyle that covered her right eye) with just a few pen strokes. When she was finished, with a borrowed red pen from Mark Mariano, Veronica Lake adorned the cover.

If you should meet Erica at a show, ask her to show you the drawing Chris Giarusso did of Machiavella, she is very proud of it. Maybe it will make a future issue of M-3...

I had Sienkiewicz sign the cover at the 2013 NY Comic Con.
Updated 2013.10.14

Comments