Toby Cypress - PunkRock*Jazz

2019.05.18 East Coast Comic Con, Secaucus, NJ

Toby Cypress graduated from the Joe Kubert School in 1997, and by 1999 he was working on titles for Dark Horse Comics' Predator: Homeworld, DC Comics' Batman Nightwing: Bloodborne and Wildstorms' Star Trek Deep Space Nine: N-Vector

In 2010 Cypress wrote and illustrated his first creator owned sci-fi comic Todd Racer, published by Image Comics. Other Image titles include The Gravediggers Union, Retcon a sci-fi horror book and Blue Estate a crime horror series

Cypress published his first art book PunkRock*Jazz. The title of this book intrigued me, so I asked its meaning. Cypress stated that during an interview about his work, the writer said it gave them a punk-rock jazz feel. As a fan of Jazz, Cypress quickly took to the title

I had this envelope from the Celebrate the Century series, which had both the Jazz Club and the 1920's Flapper, which I thought some day I might find a music related use for this. When I showed Cypress the cover, he lit up and agreed to provide a sketch. I gave him free rein to provide anything that he would be inspired to do. His love of jazz is freely expressed through his art

Comments