AJ Morrone - Micky Dolenz

2018-04-27 East Coast Comic Con, Secaucus, NJ

When I read the guest list for the Con, and saw Mickey Dolenz was going to be in attendance, I wanted to obtain an autograph. I have seen the Monkees in concert, grew-up on the TV show and I appreciate the music. 

Dolenz started out in television in 1956 starring in Circus Boy, portraying a water boy for the elephants in a circus. The show ran for 2 seasons. 

Prior to auditioning for the Monkees, Dolenz had led a rock group called Mickey and the One-Nighters. The Monkees success was both due to the music and the comedy of the show. It connect with the younger viewers.

Since I decided to obtain an autograph, I knew I did not want to carry around a record album, and I did not want a photo. I decided to find an artist at the show who could provide a sketch of Dolenz. AJ Morrone is a sketch card artist for Upper Deck and Fleer trading cards. He accepted my challenge and produced in short time a sketch that truly captured Dolenz' personality.

I selected a Richie Valens first day cover, a celebration of early rock n roll....

Comments