Thomas Yeates - Tarzan

2018.04.28 East Coast Comic Con, Secaucus, NJ

I am an avid reader of the Sunday comics, and Prince Valiant has had my attention for years. I look forward to the traditional style of art and storytelling. Since it only runs on Sunday, the story has to keep the reader actively involved.

When I heard Thomas Yeates would be at this show, I would have liked to obtain a sketch of Prince Valiant. Unfortunately I do not have any blank covers on which to obtain sketches. 
I did have Yeates sign the above Prince Valiant cover for me. The choice of sketch to obtain however, was not difficult. A self-taught artist who is influenced by Hal Foster, NC Wyeth, Al Williamson and Wallace Wood, Yeates first professional work was for DC Comics in 1978 on Sgt Rock. He would continue with DC Comics' Warlord, Mystery in Space and Swamp Thing.

Moving to Eclipse, Yeates' worked on Airboy, Scout, Lugar, Brought to Light and Aztec Ace. At Pacific comics he would work on Alien Worlds and Vanguard. At T.S.R. he illustrated the Dragonlance Saga on Dungeons and Dragons.

In the 199os, Yeates drew his boyhood hero.. Tarzan of the Apes and Tarzan, The Beckoning for Malibu Comics and Dark Horse Comics

Years would also illustrated Dracula vs Zorro for Topps Comics, Tomahawk for DC, Zorro comic strip with Don McGregor, Universe X specials for Marvel comics, as well as illustrating graphic novels for Lerner Publishing featuring King Arthur, Robin Hood, Lancelot.....

I went to the show on Friday to obtain my sketches early, so on Saturday I just walked around without intention of obtaining additional sketches. I had passed the National Cartoonist Society table, which had the same artists that were there last year, so I did not give them much attention.
Henrik Rehr viking sketch

As I was getting ready to leave for the day, I noticed a gentleman sketching in a style similar to Moebius and I was pulled in. Turns out it was Henrik Rehr a Danish artist who draw the comic strip Ferd'nand, having taken over the strip in 1989, He signs the strip Rehr.Mik. We discussed some the work he was displaying, which included Beetle Bailey. The Walker family publishes Beetle overseas in book form. Since the daily strips seen in the US are not enough to fill the pages, Rehr takes their unused ideas and transforms them into additional Beetle Bailey strips.
Rear works in different styles depending on the content of the work, as for Moebius, he was an inspiration so when Rehr has down time, he sketches in the style of Moebius...



Comments