Bill Wray - Gasoline Alley

2017.04.29 East Coast Comic Con, Secaucus, NJ

I had met Bill Wray at last year's East Coast Comic Con, but did not have the opportunity to obtain a sketch. So this year I made the effort to reach his table and request a sketch. Wray is a cartoonist noted for his work on the Ren & Stimpy show and Samuri Jack, as well as starting out with Disney, Hanna-Barbera and Filmation studios.  He has contributed to Mad magazine and co-created Hellboy Jr, with Mike Mignola.

Wray sketches scream with the Ren & Stimpy style, and I thought I would obtain a sketch of either character doing something stoopid. Wray started looking through the selection of covers I had with me and became engrossed in the art of the stamps. He stopped at the Classic Comics stamp for Gasoline Alley and started to reminisce about his enjoyment of the newspaper comics especially Gasoline Alley.

When I returned to pick up the sketch I was very surprised to see Wray had drawn the main characters Walt Wallet and Skeezix, in the style of the original comics, as done by Frank King during the 1920's. We are the same age, so I know the nostalgic feeling he must have had when he did this. Gasoline Alley was one of the few comic strips that actually grew up with you as you read it..

Thank you Bill for a truly beautiful tribute..

Under the name William Wray, he paints the Urban Landscape series of fine paintings documenting the urban California landscape..


Jim Scancarelli sketch, with his 90th anniversary strip honoring those who came before him: Frank King (creator 1918-1959), Bill Perry (Sunday strips 1951-1975) Dick Moores (1956-1986)


Comments