Howard Bender - Daniel Boone

2012.09.22 SuperHeroes for Hospice, Eatontown, NJ

For the past three years that I have helped at the Monmouth Mall Hospice comic book show, Howard Bender and Mark Voger have been there drawing caricatures for the patrons, mostly kids. Until this year I had only said hello and did not have the opportunity to spend any time with them. 

Mark Voger is a author and writes for the NJ Star Ledger, features on pop culture which appear in the Friday Ticket supplement. A feature I always read and did not realize this was him! When I starting talking about his latest article on Indiana Jones, the conversation moved to movie serials from the 1930-40 era, especially Superman, Batman, Captain America, Green Hornet and Captain Marvel and then some. It was a pleasure being able to spend a little time with them.

I had previously met Howard Bender at another comic book show, where he drew a Green Lantern for me. when I approached him at that time he asked if I had anything for Davy Crockett, which I did not. However this time I brought a Daniel Boone FDC with me. It was close enough for Howard to provide an excellent sketch of the frontiersman. I especially like the detail of the raccoon face on the hat.

Davy Crockett (1786-1836) was a folk hero, frontiersman, politician and soldier, losing his life at the Battle of the Alamo. Crockett was popularized in a 1954-54 Walt Disney television mini-series starring Fess Parker and Buddy Ebsen as his friend George Russel.

Daniel Boone (1734-1820) was a folk hero, frontiersman, explorer from Kentucky. Daniel Boone was popularized in a television series which ran from 1964-1970 by Fess Parker.
Both men were honored by the US Post office - Crockett in 1967 and Boone in 1968

Comments