2012 NY Comic Con

2012.10.13 NY Comic Con, Javits Center, NYC

This is a headache induced rattle - I've had a headache for several days and still attempted to attend NY Comic Con. I had a list of artists I wanted to get sketches from and found that this being day 3 of the event, they were all booked with commissions or were not even there. After wandering the artist alley for an hour with no sketches obtained, I came across Jeremy Bastian (Cursed Pirate Girl) and David Petersen (Mouse Guard). During Free Comic Book Day, Archana Entertainment published a hard covered book featuring Mouse Guard, Cursed Pirate Girl and several other stories. I thought this would be great for obtaining autographs of the writers and artists. The good news was I stuck the book in my backpack before leaving home and was able to have both Bastian and Petersen sign my book. Bastian's commission list was full, but he agreed to do a quick sketch for my collection, the result being the marvelous sea creature (above) typically found on many a pirate map.  Looking over his prints, the detailed work that he puts into his drawings, I am not surprised to find he work is in demand. Thanks Jeremy!

Cursed Pirate Girl - Adventures on and under the high seas lead a cursed pirate girl to encounter mythic creatures, gnarled and crusty pirates (are there any other kind) and ghostly apparitions as she tries to find her lost father.....

As the hours passed and I had trouble focusing on my goals, I picked up a couple of sketch cards....
Superman by Brian C. Roll at Odyssey Art, even though I haven't read Superman in a while, I am not into the New 52, I still like Supes...
Venom by Andrew Charipar at Misfit Corner Press ... I just liked it!

Headaches finally going away, wish I had a better outing, but Matt and I did get to meet Christopher Lloyd (picked up a signed photo from the movie Roger Rabbit - everyone else seemed to select a photo from Back to the Future), picked up The Stuff of Legends Book 3 (Mike Raicht, Brian Smith and CP Wilson III) one of the exhibitors asked who my favorite character was and I drew a blank. I realized later it wasn't any character but the story and presentation that I enjoyed. Picked up Heartbreakers meet Boilerplate (Paul Guinan & Anna Bennett) good story and a sketch from Vicente Alcazar, artist of Erica Schultz's M3 comic which I will post next week...

As my mind cleared I realized Matt and I never made it to the main exhibition floor.

Comments