Joe Kubert


2011.06.04 - Joe Kubert was at Dewey's Comic City, Madison, NJ for a book signing. I did make a request for a sketch and Mr. Kubert declined as he was only signing books. I am good with that...

I had planned on picking up a couple of books, and the opportunity to meet Joe Kubert was in itself what the day was all about...

I picked up Kubert's latest Dong Xoai, Vietnam 1965. Excellent. The art work is not typical comic or graphic novel. The art looks like pencil sketches on gray paper with highlights, as if he was there and making the sketches while the story takes place. No little boxes to separate the art, each page draws you into the story...As a fan of Sgt. Rock, you can see his spirit in these Vietnam vets...

The Vietnam draft ended in 1973, the year I would have been in the selection process. No one in my immediate family was involved in the war, although my wife lost a cousin in battle. However, the war still holds memories for me of news reports, protests in high school and at the local college. And probably not having a full understanding of the war. Of not providing our troops with the full support they really needed.

Kubert pointed out that the back of the book, which is a true description of the events the story is based on by the men who were there and survived.

I am not a book reviewer nor was this blog set up for that purpose, but I was so appreciative of the small time spent between my son Matt, Joe Kubert and myself, and the depth of the story I could not resist...

Comments