Terrrrrrrrrific!


2011.03.28 Gene Deitch - Tom Terrific and Mighty Manfred the Wonder Dog

When I first wrote to Mr. Deitch and I received his drawing of Tom Terrific, see previous post...I was truly excited by receiving the sketch. Mr. Deitch also sent along a color print of Tom and Mighty Manfred, which I did not mention in my post. I do not post everything I receive or purchase. After seeing the post, Mr. Deitch replied......

Hi Ray, I didn't understand that you wanted me to draw something on the first day cover; I didn't want to ruin it, so instead I made you a large color cartoon. Apparently, you didn't like that, as you make no mention of it on your blog. The Tom Terrific head on the mailing envelope was just a very fast sketch I did at the last minute, before mailing it. Do you want to return the FDC? Best Gene...

I did not mention the print as it did not fit in with the overall collection of covers. I appreciate everything I receive, I understand the artist I write to are under no obligation to send anything. The fact that Mr. Deitch took the time to respond is greatly appreciated. At first I was not going to return the FDC as I did not want to take advantage of his kindness. But I really though having the Tom Terrific on a FDC was something I did not want to pass up.

Mr. Deitch has been more than kind, returning the cover with a pencil sketch of Tom and another sketch of Mighty Manfred... Thank you for your kindness...This was indeed a very special delivery...

I chose the Disney related FDC to honor Gene Deitch's work in animation. The Disney Studios do an excellent job of animating, but there are many others out there, like Mr. Deitch, who provide countless hours of pleasure and entertainment with their animation...

Special Delivery from Patrick McDonnell's Mutts 2011.03.31

Comments