Brian Crane - Pickles


2011.02.02 Brian Crane - Pickles...Earl and Nelson...
Brian Crane has received the National Cartoonist Society Newspaper Comic Strip Award in 2001 for his strip Pickles, which runs as a daily and a Sunday comic strip. Pickles was first published in 1990.

Pickles, follows a retired couple in their seventies, Earl and Opal Pickles, and their dog Roscoe, cat Muffin, grandson Nelson, their daughter Sylvia and her husband Dan. the strip shows the funny side of family and friendship.

On his web site at the Cartoonist Studio, Crane states, "I've always wanted to become a cartoonist when I grow up, and I still hope to do so if and when that day ever comes."

I still enjoy reading the comics in my newspaper, I am slowly working toward a few web comics. I don't remember when I started reading Pickles, but it has quickly become a part of my life. The newspapers have a way of revamping their lineup every so often, and one day Pickles appeared, and fortunately it has stayed. I will say, although not retired and no grand children yet, I am often scared by Earl Pickles. It seems he and I are a lot alike, and it is not a good way, according to my wife. I can see a lot of similarities in their relationship to my own.

Earl often finds ways to relax instead of working or saying the wrong things to Opal at the wrong time, like there is ever a right time. I post this cartoon not because my wife doesn't like technology, I am the one who refuses to read e-books, rather because this is often her reaction to the things I say.


I chose to have Mr. Crane sketch on a combination first day cover, with both stamps dealing with life from youth to aging, as reflected by Crane's sketch of Earl and Nelson...

Comments

signedfdc said…
Thanks for sharing, Pickles is my favourite comic too!