Roland Harvey



Roland Harvey 1988 Australia - US Bicentenary

Top cover is my design, block printed, signed by stamp designer Roland Harvey. The bottom cover is a hand painted cachet by Adams (I do not have any information on the artist, I picked this up in a trade). When the Australian-US issue was announced in 1988 I was thrilled to created a cachet, as my wife loves animals, especially koalas and dogs. Therefore my design was for my wife. We even went to San Francisco for our honeymoon so she could see koalas up close at the SF Zoo.

Harvey is an Australian children's illustrator, and author. He is best known as an illustrator of children's books using pen, ink and watercolor. His works have been described as 'witty slapstick style' and 'characteristic humorous and detailed illustrations'.

My Place in Space, named an Honour Book in the Children's Book Council of Australia Book of the Year Awards, and The Friends of Emily Culpepper, commended in the same awards. Burke and Wills, part of Harvey's unique Australian history series, won the Clifton Pugh Award for illustration, and Islands in My Garden won the 1999 Wilderness Society Environment Award. One recent book, Sick As: Bloody Moments in the History of Medicine, was shortlisted for the 2001 Children's Book Council of Australia Eve Pownall Award for Information Books. (Wikipedia).

Harvey has also designed several stamps for the Australia Post, featuring his unique drawing style. Including the Australia-New Zealand joint issue and the above Wild Babies. I couldn't help but notice in the first stamp, near the 45c, the Koala butt shot! Gotta love it!

Thanks Roland.

Comments