Irwin Hasen - Dondi

When I had read that Irwin Hasen would be appearing at NJ Comic Expo in Riverdale, NJ on June 19, 2010, I was hoping I would be able to attend. Soccer matches have priority, but luck was with me as I was able to attend with my son Matt, before his playoff game.

Irwin Hasen, for me brings back memories of opening the NY Daily News and reading the comics pages. His comic strip Dondi had always been one of my favorites. Hasen created Dondi with Gus Edson in 1955 and the strip ran until 1986. The storyline followed Dondi, a orphaned boy during World War II, who is befriended by American soldiers and brought back to the US. I followed his adventures for many years.

What I did not know was that Mr. Hasen had also been a comic book artist, creating the character of Wildcat, along with Bill Finger in 1942.

At age 92, Mr. Hasen is a remarkable man and was extremely pleasant. He graciously drew a sketch of Dondi on a World War II Monument FDC for Matt and myself.

Comments