GI Joe - Snake Eyes



Yo Joe!!!
July 24, 2010 - Comic Book Show - Superheroes for Hospice - Saint Barnabas Health Care System, Livingston, NJ. The show is run to raise funds for the Saint Barnabas Hospice, and featured a couple of sketch artists as well as comic books for sale.

Bobby Vala was one of the sketch artists present. Bobby has done art and design for Hasbro and Mattel, specifically for GI Joe, as well as designing Shocker Suit Spiderman. My interest was in GI Joe. I had several first day covers with military themes, so I decided to use the Desert Shield-Desert Storm commemorative from 1991.

I asked Bobby for a GI Joe of his choice, with a gleam in his eye and a small smile he asked "Can I do a Cobra?", Anything you want was my reply. When the cover was done, Bobby had opted for Snake Eyes. Snake Eyes is one of the original members from the GI Joe: A Real American Hero line, which came out in 1982.

The original GI Joe came out in the early 1960's and yes I had one. Most of the boys on my street in Brooklyn did.

You can see more of Bobby's work at www.vala316.deviantart.com

Comments